Fedora install problems with Dell Servers

Fedora 20 Install with Poweredge servers
In my normal 'day to day life' I'm starting to bump into more and more Linux installs and recently I have had to install a number of instances of Fedora, and in particular I have had to install it onto DELL servers.

I have been using the complete Fedora DVD .iso image which comes in a hefty 4.2 GB but as I have access to a fast pipe then why not have it all to hand!?

That said, there is a common issue when using Fedora with DELL Poweredge servers which, if allowed to take its standards course, gives the error

"Pane is Dead"

This is reportedly down to an issue with the iSCSI-Initiator. If you don't need to install to an iSCSI disk, you should also be able to work around this by blacklisting the drivers from the command line with "modprobe.blacklist=cnic,bnx2i"

This is done by pressing the tab key at the Install / Test Media page of the install. This should for the following line to appear at the bottom of your screen...

   vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img inst,stage2=hd:LABEL=Fedora\x2020\x20x86_64 quiet

Now you need to append the suppressor to the end of the installer so that it now reads...

   vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img inst,stage2=hd:LABEL=Fedora\x2020\x20x86_64 quiet modprobe.blacklist=cnic,bnx2i

The install should  now carry out fine. Best of Luck!

Comments

  1. I encountered this problem with my centos 7 installation and was stuck for the last 3 days.Your solution worked ....thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment